The national engineering industry continues to record growth results. This is a signal of an expanding market as witnessed by the economic survey on the Italian engineering industry promoted by Federmeccanica, according to which in the first quarter of the year growth in exports and business volumes was achieved even in the presence of a slight downturn in manufacturing.
“Mechatronics is the backbone of the Italian economy”, said Diego Andreis, President of Mechatronics’ Group of Assolombarda, Vice President of Federmeccanica and President of CEEMET. ”Suffice it to say that, at the national level, the sector with about 120 billion of added value contributes 8% to GDP”.
This is an important job market that the digital revolution under way is transforming. This passage requires up-to-date educational models that can respond to the new needs of business, looking for highly specialized technical profiles.
Training now moves towards “Higher Technicians of digital technologies for Industry or for the innovation of mechanical processes and products”, or professionals supporting production, with knowledge and skills related to mechanic, electrical engineering, electronics, informatics, processes and products technologies, able to:
- intervene in all sector of the supply chain, from production to marketing
- manage post-sale and maintenance needs
- manage production flows in their planning
- develop and implement design, prototyping and industrialization techniques (design for manufacturing)
- identify the materials, the relative workings and the appropriate treatments
- choose the processing technologies and related machines
- search and apply the technical and safety regulations of the electrical, electronics and mechanical sectors in the planning
- program industrial automation systems
- configure, size, document and maintain different type of automatic systems
- apply to systems and plants the methods of prevention, analysis and diagnostics of failure and propose possible solutions
What will the employment opportunities be?
The professional figures in question can operate within companies that design, produce, install automated system or use them within their production cycle.
- mechatronic design and production
- industrial automation
- installation, testing and maintenance.